Wednesday 16 March 2016

Georgie Underwood- Dragon

I decided to focus on the dragon as my Shakespeare animal, as I am interested in fantasy as a genre. Dragons have always intrigued me, due to their importance in some modern cultures, as  well as in classic mythology and legends. With this in mind, I researched what 'dragon' meant, as a word and as a creature; the main focus though, was how the animal is portrayed in Shakespeare. The Shakespeare quotes that I chose to explore, were "sparkling eyes"(King Henry VI, Act 1, Scene 1) and "come not between a dragon and his wrath"(King Lear, Act 1, Scene 1). To portray this, I looked at why a dragon would be wrathful; researching this idea, I found that the main reason for a dragons anger, would be when gold is stolen from its treasure hoard.  I decided to experiment further, thinking of ways of how to illustrate the idea of a dragons eyes being "sparkling" whilst also showing a picture of destruction and anger. The result of this, was an image of a village burning as the dragon watches- implying that the dragon was seeking revenge on whoever stole his gold.

Experiment with scraper foil

Adapting the final outcome on Photoshop, by removing some of the clarity and changing the colour.
Final outcome
The dragon watches over the destruction it has caused.
This piece shows the result of the dragons wrath- a village being burnt to the ground.

Second Final outcome
I decided to create a secondary outcome, that works almost as a 'prequel' to my final outcome.
This piece shows the human in the midst of the dragon's hoard, waking the beast after having stolen gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment