Tuesday 22 March 2016

Shakespeare’s Animals.

Ruth Alderton 

Bears,bears,bears,in this unit its was all about bears. I had overheard that ‘the bears’ were the most frequently quoted animal in all of Shakespeare’s repertoire, however after a few hours of internet searches all i found was a stage direction ‘exited pursued the bear’ from the dark comedy ‘A Winters Tale’. A winters tales explores many themes of love, lust and most of all jealousy(to me) amongst many different characters .I began to look into the emotion jealousy as i suddenly realised how strange and powerful jealousy is. The part of the brain which makes us feel  jealousy is near to the part of the brain which makes us feel anger and arousal this maybe why we sometimes get confused and even fall into denial about how we feel. Anyway, it got me thinking that maybe i could personify this emotion by using the bear.

Lino cut Workshop

During this unit i also explored different types of mediums and really enjoyed Lino print and felt i understood the different techniques that i had never been bothered to try before,it was a good way of getting me out of my comfort zone. For my final piece I illustrated a range of characters from Shakespeare’s plays which are known for their jealousy with the characteristics of bear, using watercolours . I often used watercolours as they a great to blend with and i feel that they fit comfortably in with my style of drawing. I thought this was a interesting way to round up my project as it portrayed both the bear and what the bear represents in the appropriate setting.

- First stages of my final piece -  'A winters tale' (Leonte,Polixenes and Archidamus) 


                        Personifying a bear into 21st Century teen, drawn then edited on Photoshop  

No comments:

Post a Comment