Monday 23 March 2015

Alice Fox - Anaconda

For my Research Methodology project I chose to study a large predator, the Anaconda snake.
I found out that they are very smart creatures that need a lot of skills and strength to survive, yet they are portrayed in most cultures and stories to be a sign of evil. I wanted to show that there is more than what meets the eye.
 (bull point pen & water colour)
Snakes depend on their strength to catch their prey. They suffocate their victims using there body by wrapping around and squeezing. I wanted to show the skill and technique used for their survival.
 (chalk & charcoal) 
(pen & ink)
 One of the most interesting research I found was the story of Adam and Eve. Although I wanted to avoid portraying the animal as a evil predator, it also showed how cunning and smart it was.
 (pen)
After sketching many ideas I came to creating 3 different motions of a snakes head. Trying to show the strength within the snakes jaw. I used symbols of strength from different cultures highlighting my aim. I did this by screen printing in the colours of a Anaconda and block black to bring the symbolism forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment