Wednesday 25 March 2015

Dan Curtis - Elephants


I decided to develop my project around elephants as I think the contrast in beliefs surrounding them, including biologically and religiously, are something that need to be addressed and are certainly something I was interested in exploring. The fact that in one part of the world they are considered to be god-like animals, whereas in another part they are relentlessly hunted and butchered for their tusks both intrigued and disgusted me; not to mention how they have been and still are being put through horrible conditions so they can be used in circuses for our entertainment. As you'll see in some of my work, I tried to combine the metaphors and symbolism found in Indian art with the tacky style of old circus posters to comment on the treatment they've received.


These images below were inspired by Salvador Dali's many paintings of elephants, in which they have extremely spindly legs to emphasise their dream-like weightlessness - mine were done by blowing large bits of watercolours all over the page and then drawing an elephant into the shapes they produced.



No comments:

Post a Comment