Tuesday 24 March 2015

Koby Prior - King Cobra



For my Research Methodology project we were told to choose an animal, I went with the King Cobra as I already have a interest in snakes. I started off in the project researching deeply into the many meanings of snakes in different cultures, I found myself drawn to the fact that snakes are seen as symbols of protection in many places in India and that's how I stumbled upon the King Cobra. I then began to focus on the King Cobra's maternal instincts, as it is one of the few snakes that will stay with its young and care for its eggs. The female King Cobra will stay with her eggs until they hatch (which is around 40 to 90 days) , not leaving their side for food and drinking only rain water, I found this an amazing link to the symbol of protection that snakes are in India. I also began to look into the King part of the King Cobras name, looking into Indian royalty and their palaces. Taking inspiration from the door frames of these magnification homes I designed a King Cobra statue that would take home in any palace as a statue of protection. 



A lino print of my first female King Cobra protecting her eggs. I added the colour first then layered the print on top.



My final design for my King Cobra. I wanted her to share the colouring of the palaces I had looked at, turquoise, pink and gold were colours I had seen a lot and they go wonderfully together. I wanted the King cobras cape to look almost shield like, as if you'll have to break that down before you can get to her venom and her eggs.



The start of my King Cobra sculpture. She was made from air drying clay so I had to work fast. I also made her 20 eggs to protect.



Freshly spray painted and still a little wet, here she is all finished. I also spray painted her eggs and the sat nicely in her coils.



No comments:

Post a Comment