Wednesday 18 March 2015

Vicente O'Neill - the Spem Whale

The Sperm Whale

Minus its funny name, the Sperm Whale is one of the most mysterious marine mammals known to mankind. I chose this majestic creature because it intrigued, fascinated and even frightened me. This is a species of whale that is known to be solitary, lonely and intelligent.
This is a true leviathan. It can grow bigger than 15 metres long and can dive underwater for 90 minutes at a time and can reach depths of 10, 500 feet. The Sperm Whale has been made Famous by sightings of Mocha Dick (real life Albino Sperm whale that has had 100's of skirmishes with whalers back in the 19th century) and the fictional Moby Dick (imagined by real life whaler Herman Melville who was inspired by Mocha Dick).


I had a dream where I saw this Sperm Whale, deep in the briny abyss, open its mouth, a dark hole in the oceanic blue, and suck me in.


I would describe the sperm whale with one word: Ominous.



No comments:

Post a Comment